KINDA HOT: A book about Saint Jack

Info, news and a kind of diary covering the publication of a book about the making of the film Saint Jack in Singapore...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Bedok, The East, Singapore

Author, Lecturer, Screenwriter, Film Critic & Historian... Email me!

Thursday, April 20, 2006

and then what happens...

ben_robby
(Robby Mueller lighting Ben Gazzara for a scene in Saint Jack: continuity polaroid by Patricia Kirk)

Well, the book is on the shelves of some bookshops in Singapore (not as many as I'd like), and I continue to get the occasional sms or email of praise from friends, family and crew members who have read it. No one has beaten me up for my mistakes (and there are a few) or printing anything terrible - although one crew member did tell me that he might not receive christmas cards from certain friends this year.

After the Straits Times article, some keen folks set up a wikipedia page for Saint Jack, which didn't mention my book at all (because it had been so painfully sidelined by the article), or certain key facts about the 'controversy'. So I actually joined wikipedia in order to correct a few things... although it's still got certain inaccuracies that bug me.

I guess the big news is that by odd serendipity Paul Theroux is coming to Singapore next week. The plan is for us to meet up, and since he's not been here since the 80s, it will interesting to do a bit of urban exploration. Not sure whether this will pan out, but will update as it comes in. For those in Singapore (or nearby) - watch the press for details of a public event. He seems keen to do press and meet his readers.

Coincidentally, next friday (the 28th), the good people of Bukit Batok Community library Book Club will be discussing Saint Jack at 4pm! I wonder if he will be up for making an appearance...

And what of the film itself? Well I am hearing rumblings all over about those who are seeking to organise screenings. It is only a matter of time. I just hope they let me be around to flog my tome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home